Suu Kyi ‘malnourished’
Suu Kyi ‘malnourished’
YANGON – MYANMAR’S detained democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi is malnourished after refusing most food supplies for four weeks, her lawyer said on Monday after meeting her doctor.
‘Although Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was not on a hunger strike, she was eating little because she hasn’t accepted food supplies since August 16,’ her lawyer Kyi Win said, using an honorific before her name.
‘Recently she has become malnourished. After she met with her doctor yesterday, she is eating more nutritiously,’ he said.
Her doctor Tin Myo Win spent four-and-a-half hours on Sunday at Aung San Suu Kyi’s lakeside home, where she has been confined for most of the last 19 years, but he refused to give details on her health.
Mr Kyi Win said the 63-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner was not staging a hunger strike but had stopped accepting her daily rations from the military regime to demand greater rights for Myanmar’s people.
She has been surviving the last month mainly on small stocks of food that she had in her home, Mr Kyi Win added.
‘The reason for not accepting food like this was not only for her but to demand the prevalence of law and order in the country and to win the rights that all people should be granted,’ he said.
Mr Nyan Win, spokesman for Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy (NLD) party, said she had agreed to start accepting food supplies from Monday but he could not say if the rations had already been delivered.
‘She will accept her food supplies from today,’ Mr Nyan Win said.
Neither the lawyer nor the spokesman could confirm if she had been granted any concessions from the regime, such as permission to receive mail or for her two maids to move freely in and out of the house.
Mr Kyi Win said on Friday he had held ‘positive’ talks with the government on relaxing the terms of her confinement so that she could receive mail and monthly visits from her doctor.
He has also been allowed to meet her to discuss a legal appeal of her detention. — AFP
Suu Kyi Wins Concessions from the Regime
By SAW YAN NAING
Friday, September 12, 2008
Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi has won some concessions from the military regime, including future deliveries of international magazines and personal mail, according to her lawyer, Kyi Win.
Kyi Win visited Suu Kyi on Thursday, and on Friday he told The Irrawaddy that in return for the government concessions she agreed to accept deliveries again of food and household supplies.
|A protester from the National League for Democracy holds a portrait of the pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi during a rally demanding the release of Suu Kyi near the Burmese Embassy in Seoul on June 3. (Photo: Reuters)|
Suu Kyi’s refusal of outside supplies since August 15 fuelled rumors that she was on a hunger strike.“She was aware that people are worried about her health,” said Kyi Win “But she said that she knows well how to take care of herself.”
Suu Kyi’s doctor, Tin Myo Win, would visit her on Sunday and then report on her health and on the reports that she had been on a hunger strike, Kyi Win said.
Suu Kyi would again accept outside supplies after the Sunday meeting with her doctor, who would bring her letters from her two sons, who live abroad.
Kyi Win said she would also be allowed to receive international magazines such as Time and Newsweek and local newspapers.
He told The Irrawaddy: “She is very happy. I’m very happy too. It is positive for both the authorities and her.”
Suu Kyi had been demanding better conditions of her house arrest, including access to information, deliveries of private mail and monthly visits by her physician.
Her party spokesman, Nyan Win, said she had also asked for Internet access, but it wasn’t known whether that request would be granted.
Kyi Win said Suu Kyi had also pressed for greater freedom of movement for the two women who help her in the household.
One of the women was admitted to hospital this week, suffering from an undisclosed illness, and the authorities denied visitors access to her ward.
The other housekeeper, Khin Khin Win, a member of Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy, was now allowed to move freely in and out of Suu Kyi’s compound on University Avenue, Kyi Win said.
The lawyer said that during their two-hour meeting on Thursday he and Suu Kyi had discussed a legal appeal against her current term of house arrest.
Suu Kyi was now prepared also to meet the regime’s liaison minister, Aung Kyi, and a meeting had been scheduled for September 15, Kyi Win said.
Suu Kyi has spent more than 13 of the past 19 years under house arrest. Her current term of detention began in May, 2003, after her convoy was attacked by thugs backed by the regime.